[LINK] gps on kids...

grove at zeta.org.au grove at zeta.org.au
Thu Jan 15 09:18:21 AEDT 2009

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:

> I struggled through  War and Peace at school.
> A few years ago I came read a hard copy of
> Hadji Murad. by. Leo Tolstoy.

I read War & Peace when I lived in the outback.  And I also
read Brothers Karamazov!

> I find it difficult to get into novels but this summers
> reading is a new book in  the Dune series and I am gripped.
> Paul of Dune by Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson.

I just finished all 7 Harry Potter stories, one after the other
while on leave.  Now I am starting over on Larry Niven's Known Space
series again.

> I don't recall the earlier ones being so topical but this
> one talks about jihads and deserts. Even mentions tourists
> and refugees not respecting precious water.

The Jihad was always part of Dune.   But i think the connotation was
different ie the jihad was a way of expressing diaspora through the
human worlds.

rachel

--
Rachel Polanskis                 Kingswood, Greater Western Sydney, Australia
grove at zeta.org.au                http://www.zeta.org.au/~grove/grove.html