[LINK] gps on kids...

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Fri Jan 16 16:54:21 AEDT 2009

Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
> Richard Chirgwin wrote:
>> Marghanita da Cruz wrote:

>>> Part of bushwalking used to be map reading, land marks and deciding on
>>> your route. It is the paths and landmarks not the route that you want
>>> to know about.
>> It still is ... I don't go on anything but trivial walks without a topo
>> in the bag.
>
> So, are topos being replaced by satellite images eg those on google?
No ... a topo gives specific and accurate information. A satellite image
is a pretty picture...

I don't mean to sound dismissive there, but take a good look at a sat
image, say of the Blue Gum Forest ... it would take a damn fine image
analyst to find those parts of the the Perrys Lookdown walk that are
even visible from the satellite.

Cheers,
RC