[LINK] car computers: the help ticket exchange, parts 1 and 2

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Sun Jan 18 12:38:14 AEDT 2009

 From a clever friend re the car computer announced at the US auto show:
http://www.theage.com.au/news/home/technology/car-computers-help-out-around-the-house/2009/01/16/1231608952748.html

Thank you for your phone call to the Chrysler 200C/Microsoft assistance
service.

Your ticket is #14836893

Your ticket reads:
"Help, I am stuck 14 miles from home on an unmarked country road and the
car just suddenly stopped. The screen thing on the dash has gone blue
and says "Unresolved heap error. The car has been shut down to protect
it. Error code 48F34H67G73B3456DF" It's 22 below and I'm freezing. Help"

A customer service representative will call you back as soon as
possible. Please note we are experiencing some delays due to the level
of service and this may be on the following business day.

In the meantime, we have found that many problems are caused by the
installed drivers. While waiting you may want to:
1) Remove the car battery and all plug-in computer modules marked
"Chrysler/MS". Replace in the order they were removed.
2) Replace all drivers beginning with the one who was actually driving
at the time.

We have also sent you a complimentary information package on the most
recent upgrade to the 200C computer system which will enhance your
driving experience. Please note this version requires upgrading your
vehicle to a 300C to operate.

Have a nice day.

Your friendly support team at Chrysler.

====more====

Later:

Thank you for your phone call to the Chrysler 200C/Microsoft assistance
Service referencing ticket #14836893

Your ticket update reads:
"What's all this crap about replacing the driver? I'm freezing to death
here. Help"

A customer service representative will call you back as soon as
possible. Please note we are experiencing some delays due to the level
of service and this may be on the following business day.

In the meantime, our Artificial Intelligence answering system has
recognised a reference to "drivers".

While waiting you may find this information useful:

Chrysler tests its software systems with its own drivers but naturally
cannot be responsible for the performance of the vehicle with third
party drivers under all circumstances. We have found that many problems
are caused by older drivers that expect the system to be configured in
ways that may not be the case with modern systems.

You may also be interested to know that your C200 (and the series C300)
is now classed as an "end of life" product since your last phone call.
We would strongly recommend upgrading to the current model. We have sent
you a complimentary information package on the most
recent upgrade to the 350c computer system which will enhance your
driving experience. Please note this version requires upgrading your
vehicle to a 350C to operate.