[LINK] google catch up [was: ICT Predictions 2009 - little OT (gov't reports example)

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Tue Jan 27 11:19:26 AEDT 2009

At 08:44 AM 27/01/2009, Tom Worthington wrote:

>My proposal was that an index to publications would be automatically
>generated and made available online. This would obviously include an
>alert service to tell you what new publications there are available.
>You could then select those you did want and click on the link to get
>them. This would seem to me to be more convenient than having the
>government send you copies of stuff, most of which you probably don't want.

This comment reminded me of some strange
interactions between Google and Parliament
publications. I have a google advisory set to
email me when Australian Parliament  items that
include privacy in them are added to the google
index. Most that I get are several years old. Why
would that be? Are they delaying discovery? Or is google just behind?

examples:
Google Alert - privacy site:www.aph.gov.au
several months old:
JOURNALS OF THE SENATE
(a) notes that on Wednesday, 27 August 2008 as part of Privacy Awareness
Week. 2008, the inaugural Australian Privacy Awards and the Australian
Privacy ...
<http://www.aph.gov.au/Senate/work/journals/2008/jnlp_026.pdf>

several years old:
Privacy Amendment (Private Sector) Bill 2000 (Bills Digest 193 ...
Privacy first became an issue of major national significance in the debate
surrounding the proposed introduction of the Australia Card in the late
1980s. ...
<http://www.aph.gov.au/library/Pubs/BD/1999-2000/2000bd193.htm>

Parliament of Australia: Senate: Committee: Inquiry into the ...
Inquiry into the Privacy Act 1988. Information about the Inquiry · Terms
of Reference ... Parliament of Australia Web Site Privacy Statement ...
<http://www.aph.gov.au/SENATE/committee/legcon_ctte/completed_inquiries/2004-07/privacy/index.htm>

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

Our truest response to the irrationality of the
world is to paint or sing or write, for only in such response do we find truth.
~Madeline L'Engle, writer

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing
the silver for guests. - JW, May, 2007