[LINK] A Tool to Verify Digital Records

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Wed Jan 28 09:07:29 AEDT 2009

I may be wrong in that I haven't read the details of how they actually
plan do this and they might be talking about something different but
some of the main problems I see with this are:

If we are talking about archiving documents, sound, movies then a
change in a bit in a compressed archive can render the archive
unreadable.  Changing a bit in a signed digital archive will render
both the document unreadable and the signature invalid.  The digital
hash while a good start is too sensitive in this case.  Changing
document formats while maintaining hashes just does not seem possible.

If the document is (maliciously) altered the alterers can provide a
new hash for the altered work.  Who will know the hash has been
tampered with?  A digital hash or signature even when read by humans
is not memorable in any way.  Who's to know if it has been changed.
Unless the hash is somehow an integral part of the document itself a
stand-alone hash or signature won't really be of much use.

Even if all this was overcome then better would be to provide a series
of hashes so that parts of the document could be verified as well as
the whole so that if the document was changed it would be possible to
work out which parts had been changed.

As they mentioned recently important hashes like MD5 and SHA-1 have
been "cracked".
http://en.epochtimes.com/news/7-1-11/50336.html

How can you go back and retrofit a new hash into possibly millions of
documents if an old hash has been cracked and still be sure the
documents haven't been altered?

Kim