[LINK] identifying mail forgery (was Re: Aussie IvP6 registrations)

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Sat Jan 31 11:19:45 AEDT 2009

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 10:27:38AM +1100, Jan Whitaker wrote:
> Fortunately I've not had complaints. And yet, I live in fear that I
> might at some point because of the abuse of my domain and sometimes my
> own real address in spamming. And there's not a thing I can do about
> it, unless someone on here can advise what it might be. So far when
> I've asked, I've gotten no suggestions.
>
> There was a time when it stopped last month, about the time that major
> spam operation was caught and taken off 'air'. But it seems to be
> ramping up again with the same spoofed usernames on my domain name.

there's absolutely NOTHING you can do to prevent spammers from forging
your domain name.

what you can do, however, is make it easy to identify forgeries of your
domain.

one common method is to add Sender Policy Framework[1] (SPF) entries to
your DNS.

The basic idea of SPF is that you list all the hosts (by hostname, IP
address, netblock, etc) which are allowed to send mail claiming to be
from your domain.

any mail system that receives mail claiming to be from your domain from
an un-listed host can easily identify the mail as a forgery.

obviously, this works better if you have a static IP address for your
mail server and route all your outbound mail via that machine (e.g. by
configuring your mail client to use encrypted smtp auth to your own mail
server), but it can be done with a dynamic IP if necessary either by
listing all the IP addresses belonging to your ISP or, if your ISP has
their own SPF records, by referring to their SPF records in your own.

SPF is probably the easiest to get up and running, but there are other
mechanisms for enabling other systems to identify forgeries of your
mail.

DomainKeys Identified Mail[2] (DKIM) is another common method. it uses
cryptographic signatures to authenticate mail. it requires more work to
set up and integrate into your mail server, but it avoids the need to
pre-list all authorised hosts (as is required by SPF).

to summarise:

 - forgery prevention: impossible
 - enabling forgery detection: quite easy