[LINK] Australian Government Web Publishing Guide Review

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Fri Jul 3 08:51:46 AEST 2009

The Department of Finance and Deregulation is reviewing the Web
Publishing Guide provided for federal government agencies
<http://webpublishing.agimo.gov.au/>. I went along to a Focus Group
Session on Thursday, run by TNS Social Research. This was
entertaining, if not very useful. There is another group scheduled
for early July.

Another of the participants was Pia Waugh, policy advisor to Senator
Lundy, who sat through the whole session happily making notes on her
3G enabled sub-notebook. Also present was one of the most experienced
web experts in government service and a government web master. This
was a very opinionated group of people for any researcher to handle,
but they handled us well.

There were two government representatives observing from another room
by video camera. Along with the plate of chocolate biscuits and the
weak instant coffee, this made it seem a little too much like an
episode from the ABC TV comedy "The Hollowmen".

What we were there for was explained to us, we introduced ourselves
and then were asked questions about the Web Publishing Guide. This
was frustrating, as the questions tended to be about if we liked the
web site, while we wanted to discuss policy behind the guidelines.

The Web Publishing Guide is fine, with a good web site. However, many
of the issues we discussed were problems with policy, not layout. As
an example the Copyright Notices for government web pages are clearly
articulated in the guide, but the policy is outdated and
counter-productive. Similarly the "Branding" is clearly stated, but
is contrary to good web design principles, as well as wasting
government ICT resources.

A major problem with the web guidelines is that they are separate
from other government publishing guidance. The excellent "Style
manual" is now a commercial publication not available electronically.
This reflects the lack of a coherent information policy in the
Australian Government.

No doubt those undertaking this review are expert in focus groups and
are well meaning. However, it was an irony worthy of "The Hollowmen"
that I could not comment on web publishing via the web and instead
had to travel to the other side of Canberra to do so in person.

Those who initiated this focus group need to start using ICT to
develop and promulgate ICT policy. The obvious first step in
consulting about web guidelines is via the web.

Senator Lundy and Pia Waugh demonstrated how to do government policy
in the Internet age last week with the "Government 2.0" event at
Parliament House. We blogged, we Twittered, we streamed, we talked
and now the results are being turned into government policy proposals
via a Wiki <http://wiki.katelundy.com.au/PublicSphere2>.

More than ten years ago Geoff Huston gave a powerful presentation to
government and industry in Canberra about the role of the Internet.
He described the OSI protocol favoured by government as a small
creature about to be squashed by the oncoming Internet juggernaut on
the information superhighway. Events have proven him correct and
those of us who were still supporting GOSIP were wrong.

A new analogy is needed for a new millennium. Perhaps we could say
that government policy makers are large fish swimming around in a
small pond of information. The pond is shrinking by the day, as the
real information evaporates into the Internet cloud. The policy
makers need to evolve or be left stuck in the mud.

I will be teaching how to use the web for developing complex
strategies from July at the Australian National University, in the
course "COMP7310: Green ICT Strategies"  (it is not too late to
enroll): <http://cs.anu.edu.au/students/comp7310/>.

More comments and links in my blog:
<http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2009/07/australian-government-web-publishing.html>.

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                      http://www.tomw.net.au/
Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Australian National University