[LINK] Australian standards blocked from open access

Paul Brooks pbrooks-link at layer10.com.au
Thu Jul 9 10:58:04 AEST 2009

Tom Worthington wrote:
> I will be asking the professional bodies I am a member of to withdraw
> funding and support from SA and transfer it to other standards making
> bodies which do not impose restrictions on access to standards. Also
> I will be asking my professional bodies to ask the Australian
> Government to withdraw endorsement and funding from Standards
> Australia for standards making.

These days even the ITU provides soft-copies of all telecommunications
standards at no charge.
Note that this decision has implications for ACMA, which has legislated
powers to 'make' telecommunications technical standards as Australian
Standards
(see http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_2545). and also Communications Alliance
(which does make available standards that are developed within that framework).

Paul.