[LINK] Fwd: MR 86-09 New Cybersmart website provides gateway to online safety resources

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Tue Jul 14 09:10:57 AEST 2009

At 02:18 PM 13/07/2009, Brenda Aynsley wrote:
>... I dropped in to the media release and website ... I bet this
>cost a squillion dollars and it gives you advice like ...

There seems to be a lack of any useful content in some parts of the
site. For example there is a "Cybersmart Guide for Library Staff"
mentioned on the Libraries page, but no link to the guide:
<http://www.cybersmart.gov.au/Libraries.aspx>.

I found the library guide with a web search at:
<http://www.cybersmart.gov.au/en/Libraries/~/media/Files/Cybersmart%20Libraries/ACMA_CybersmartLibrariesGuide_A4.ashx>.

Unfortunately the guide is a poorly formatted PDF document with a
restrictive copyright notice. The document contains large photographs
which do not serve any useful purpose, just waste computer resources
and make the document harder to get. It is unfortunate the Australian
Library and Information Association endorsed this public relations
exercise designed to make the government look good, rather than
genuinely help protect children.

ps: At least the Cybersmart home page passes a W3C validation test
and gets 91/100 for being mobile friendly:
<http://validator.w3.org/mobile/check?task=20090713060741468&docAddr=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cybersmart.gov.au%2F>.

But it doesn't do so well for accessibility, with 17 Problems on a
W3C WAG 2.0 automated test:
<http://www.tawdis.net/system/modules/org.fundacionctic.taw4_wcag_informes_ocms/elements/wcag20/resumen.jsp>.

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                      http://www.tomw.net.au/
Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Australian National University