[LINK] Rudd's laptops send standards backwards

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Mon Jul 20 15:41:17 AEST 2009

At 02:46 PM 20/07/2009, David Boxall wrote:
> > Jacob Vigdor, of Duke University, North Carolina, has conducted what
> > is probably the world's biggest study on the effect on maths and
> > reading scores of gaining a home computer. He finds "statistically
> > significant" evidence that it sends them backwards.

I would have to read the full study to understand what he's actually
finding. I would test a hypothesis that it's a 'time on task' effect.
Students with the computers are spending their time engaged with the
computer -- learning It [the computer], rather than spending time on
their homework. We all know what a distraction 'new and shiny' can
be. If you found something you could actually use and have fun with,
wouldn't you rather do that than math drills or reading what is
measured on standardised tests?

So to have this make any sense, one needs to go back to the
beginning: what is the purpose for providing the computers in the
first place, particularly to low SES students? Is it to provide
modern skills to interact with the world? Are they learning Different
skills than math and reading? Are the tests testing the reading that
students are doing in order to use the tool or are they still asking
'white bread' questions designed from the 1960s and 70s? Are the
topics culturally relevant?

Math isn't generally needed to work with a computer. So if the
students are provided with activities that use the computer to do
maths skills development, of course there won't be improvement. See
time on task interference above.

This is one of those sound-bite interpretations [the article] that
needs further exploration. One of the reasons I got out of
educational 'experimental' research was because it was so confused
most of the time. IF the results are that skills aren't improving,
then what are the factors that are causing that, what are the
benefits that are resulting from the provision of the tools [possibly
life skills for better jobs??? Like keyboarding? Like manipulating
software? Like engaging online?], and how can those benefits be kept
while mitigating the losses. IF the school curriculum is NOT
incorporating these now available tools, shame on them.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/