[LINK] Rudd's laptops send standards backwards

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Mon Jul 20 17:44:39 AEST 2009

At 04:39 PM 20/07/2009, ARTHUR,Evan (Dr) wrote:
>So, enjoy:  http://jacob.vigdor.googlepages.com/digdivide012508.pdf

I just scanned it. Those are some of the weirdest correlations I've
ever seen. Number of ISPs in a zip code against math/reading scores.
???? I can't find that they have determined that the cohort in the
data actually HAVE internet subscriptions, let alone that the students USED it.

They need a graph to show the effects. That list of data is mind-numbing.

But it was encouraging that they came up with the same time on task
and different skills/purpose discussion in the opening. Pity they
didn't really measure those things. Well, they do say they have
self-reporting of time on task. I'll give them that. Ah, there is a
purpose for the time on task: computer SKILLS test:  "This may in
turn reflect the assignment of remedial computer exercises to
students at risk for failing the state's computer skills test." This
is presumably a valued learning task in the state. Maybe they need to
promote math and reading remedial activities on the computers as
well. See, it all comes back to purpose and curriculum.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/