[LINK] Translation tool

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Mon Jul 20 20:06:12 AEST 2009

That's fun.  Unfortunately "the spirit is willing" is a stock
expression that has been used before as a famous benchmark of
translation software.  It's probably hard coded as a special
expression now.  Maybe they have lots of sayings and quotes in there.

I seem to remember a few years ago someone had a website which would
translate an expression into some language using an on-line translator
and then back again several times.  Ahh yes:
http://tashian.com/multibabel/

Here's a not so well known quote:
No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the
enemy until it is ripe for execution

Google translator:
English->Chinese:
没有企业就更有可能取得成功不止一个隐藏的敌人,直
到它执行的时机已经成熟
English->Chinese->English:
Enterprises are more likely to not succeed more than one hidden enemy,
until it the time is ripe for the implementation of

English->Russian:
Нет предприятие больше шансов на
успех, чем один скрыл от врага, пока не
созрела для исполнения
English->Russian->English:
There is a greater chance of success than one concealed from the
enemy, is not yet ripe for execution

Babelfish:
English->Chinese:
企业比对敌人隐瞒的一个不是可能成功,直到它为施行
是成熟的
English->Chinese->English:
The enterprise compared to which conceals to the enemy is not possibly
succeeds, until it for the execution is mature

English->Russian:
Никакое предпринимательство более не
правоподобно для того чтобы преуспеть
чем одно скрынное от противника до тех
пор пока оно не будет зрело для
исполнения
English->Russian->English:
Any enterprise more not likely in order to succeed than one [skrynnoe]
from the enemy as long as it will not ripe for the performance

Not so great either of them.