[LINK] Copyright is an artefact designed exclusively to encourage the continuation of a society based on debt

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Fri Jul 24 11:18:22 AEST 2009

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 at 10:02:14 +1000 Tom Koltai wrote:
> ... file sharing actually increases the popularity of the artist.

> Only by encouraging non-US entertainment content will the world be free ...
A while back:
<http://mailman.anu.edu.au/pipermail/link/2009-July/084458.html>, I made
a suggestion along these lines. Australia is bound to "Intellectual
Property" by ill-advised agreements. As far as I know though, there's
nothing to stop us giving away our "property".

If our government ensures that Australian cultural produce is freely
available, we may well find the market for that produce enhanced. If
other countries do the same, the US could find its market eroding.
They'd have little option but to compete by emulating us. Market forces
might destroy what avarice has built.

--
David Boxall                    |  The more that wise people learn
                                |  The more they come to appreciate
http://david.boxall.name        |  How much they don't know.
                                                        --Confucius