[LINK] DNS outage?

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Wed Jul 29 09:37:08 AEST 2009

Paul Brooks wrote:

> Unfortunately it is a different design assumption that is biting us now.
> An initial assumption that the primary goal was to get the information
> delivered irrespective of time - within seconds/minutes/hours/days
> didn't matter, as long as it got through. With the rise of audio/video
> streaming and other real-time requirements, today timeliness matters also.

Another design assumption was that the sender and receiver could be
trusted and that security was secondary. Thus we see the add ons made
over the years, such as:

(*) telnet and ftp being replaced by the ssh suite
(*) https being added to the web suite
(*) secure email
(*) etc.etc.

IPv6 will address some security issues. But there is no way to design
in social engineering protection for the unaware, thoughtless and downright
stupid user.

cheers
rickw