[LINK] The Next Frontier: Decoding the Internet's Raw Data

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Tue Jun 2 17:22:30 AEST 2009

Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
> The Next Frontier: Decoding the Internet's Raw Data
> By Kim Hart
> Monday, June 1, 2009
> Washington Post
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/31/AR2009053102340.html
>
> There's no shortage of uses for the massive amounts of data in every
> nook and cranny of the Internet.
>
> Advertisers want to mine the photos and status updates you post on
> Facebook to better sell their wares. Scientists want to track weather
> patterns based on decades of climate records to better forecast
> troubling storms. And White House officials now want to make government
> data sets available for citizens to use however they see fit.
>
> The problem is figuring out how to organize and display the data in a
> useful and informative way, instead of forcing people to sift through
> heaps of mind-numbing spreadsheets. When are bar graphs and pie charts
> enough to break down a set of numbers? What is the best way to display
> flu outbreaks, cellphone call logs or senators' voting records?
>
><snip>

Don't know about mind numbing spreadsheets (these have had graphics tools
connected to them for over 20 years)!

But there are certainly some mind numbing PDF documents around. I recently tried
to sift through my local council's budget and management strategy.
<http://www.ramin.com.au/annandale/lmc-budget.shtml>

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz