[LINK] Is copyright dead? [WAS: Special Report: The Future Of File Sharing]

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Fri Jun 5 21:56:35 AEST 2009

On 2009/Jun/05, at 7:10 AM, Richard Chirgwin wrote:

> Craig Sanders wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 11:41:06AM +1000, David Boxall wrote:
>>> In an age in which use of content involves copying it to whatever
>>> device
>>> it is to be used on at the moment, does copyright have a place? If
>>> not,
>>> what will replace it to ensure that creators of content earn a
>>> reasonable income from their endeavours?
>>
>> ummm....who cares? the world does not owe them a living.
>
> Whereas, of course, the musician owes the world their outputs for
> free.

The issue isn't about that.  Musicians have always been paid for
performing, or not.  Many musicians are selling their music over the
internet directly right now.  So are many writers.

This is about publishing and distribution which have changed
drastically due to computers and the internet.  They're not really
needed any more, or not the same way.  The "music industry" and not,
in most cases musicians, made a lot of money selling vinyl and then
selling CDs to replace the vinyl. It was a gold-mine.  One they'd like
to keep repeating and repeating with each new change of medium.  They
have a huge store of old music they think is worth a motza ...
somehow, only people aren't buying CDs as much anymore.  The movie
industry would like to do the same with blu-ray, HD, etc.  Replace
your whole movie collection only better, with DVD, then blu-ray,
then .....

singer Courtney Love answers the charge of piracy by saying: "What is
piracy? Piracy is the act of stealing an artist's work without any
intention of paying for it. I'm not talking about Napster-type
software. I'm talking about major label recording contracts."