[LINK] Wireless access point recommendation

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Sat Jun 6 19:25:28 AEST 2009

802.11b and 802.11g use the same frequencies.  They have 11 to 13
channels.  The channels are not independent.  You can get 3
independent channels by using channels 1, 6 and 11.  That gives you
three separate (shared) channels.  802.11a is on another frequency
again but in my experience there aren't a lot of 'a' clients.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11

I haven't used 802.11n but it does appear to use the same channels as
a and b/g.  Perhaps you could use the 5 GHz channel (802.11a) for the
802.11n clients which would give you another channel.

That would be four separate channels and if things were evenly
distributed you could have say 25 clients on each.

In an environment with that many people you might be able to use
physical separation of APs ie different servicing people in different
rooms.

I have used linksys wrt APs and they are cheap and reasonably easy to
set up.

It is possible to get APs that do a/b/g but I've generally found it
considerably cheaper to get separate a and b/g APs.  I assume the same
applies to 'n'.

So you might consider at the minimum say 3 b/g routers and at least
one 'n' one and possibly more if you can use physical separation.