[LINK] stream weather/GPS/flight data

Peter Bowditch peter at ratbags.com
Sun Jun 7 08:07:38 AEST 2009

Stephen said:

> Flight 477 prompts calls for technology updates

> automatically stream flight data to land-based computers, making on-board
> recorders redundant.
>
> One former NTSB official says such transmissions are "totally possible
> today" and, already in use at some helicopter fleets.

26  F1 cars will drive around a race track in Turkey tonight. As each car
passes the pits at ~300Kmh complete telemetry of all engine function
history as well as brake, steering and suspension movements and
aerodynamic forces for the previous couple of minutes will be transmitted
to the engineers in the pits. However long it takes to bounce it of a
satellite later it will be available to engineers in the factories in the
UK, Germany, Italy, ...

> Meanwhile, the mid-ocean crash also is ratcheting up pressure for
> satellite-based GPS tracking of aircraft, because current radars extend
> only 200 miles from land.

I was at a client on Friday who distributes fliers to letter boxes. (Don't
bother writing in about junk mail. I know.) Their customers are guaranteed
a distribution route and the people who do the deliveries are tracked by
GPS, both to ensure that they don't just dump the fliers and head to the
pub and that the correct route paid for by the customer has been followed.

All possible and being used right now.

--
Peter Bowditch
The Millenium Project - http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles