[LINK] Role of the web in bushfire warnings

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Wed Jun 17 17:47:16 AEST 2009

The 2009 Victorian Brushfires Royal Commission is this week
addressing the issue of the role of the web, phones, Twitter and
social networking in providing warning to the public . Professor John
Handmer, author of "Handbook of Disaster and Emergency Policies and
Institutions", gave evidence on 16 June 2009. The statement is not
yet online (the commission secretariat told me they have some
"technological issues" with statements at present), but the
Transcript of Proceedings is:

1. Some excerpts:
<http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2009/06/role-of-web-in-bushfire-warnings.html>.
2. Full transcript at:
<http://www.blogger.com/www.royalcommission.vic.gov.au/Public-Hearings/Transcript-VBRC_Day-024_16-Jun-2009>.

I agree with the general approach suggested by Professor Handmer, but
would like to see simple efficient web mark-up used for warnings,
rather than plain text.

Also last night I took part in a colloquium at LIRNEasia in Sri Lanka
via Skype from Canberra on "The future of community-based hazard
information systems: Insights from the Internet sharing economy"
presented by Dr. Gordon A. Gow from University of Alberta:
<http://lirneasia.net/2009/06/colloquium-the-future-of-community-based-hazard-information-systems/>.

  Dr. Gow has some interesting things to say about how to make the
web for emergencies sustainable. My notes are at:
<http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2009/06/community-based-hazard-information.html>.
I will add a link to Dr. Gow's paper and slides, when they are available.

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                      http://www.tomw.net.au/
Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Australian National University