[LINK] the net, higher ed, and change

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Thu Jun 18 10:18:02 AEST 2009

At 07:20 AM 18/06/2009, Richard Chirgwin wrote:
>My experiences with students working as interns is that some are
>independent and
>motivated, but as you would expect with real people rather than demographic
>constructs, this is not uniform.

That is definitely the case. The variability of learners today is
just as wide as it always has been. The 'however' to that is that we
have the means to provide different ways of learning today that takes
advantage of the new technologies, either in blended environments
(use of web resources during lectures, recording lectures for later
review, students taking notes on devices, etc.) or in distributed
learning options (forums like moodle with students participating from
anywhere in the world) to make options available for those who are
motivated and need the programs.

The last numbers I saw for the University of Phoenix was something
like 200,000, maybe in that article. That's huge. And their students
are primarily working adults. UoP has been working away at their
program for about 20 years now. I had a little to do with it in its
infancy. It's a private institution with large fees, too. So people
are willing to pay for it.

Horses for courses. It's not either/or any more. Learners are
accessing the educational program that meets their needs at the time.
If they can attend in person, that's available in some places. But
for those who can't attend a specific time/place, distance education
provides the ability to participate at equal and sometimes better
quality, sometimes lesser quality.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com