[LINK] Government 2.0: Policy and Practice

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Wed Jun 24 08:24:40 AEST 2009

At 08:54 AM 23/06/2009, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>... I don't think that we have any form of participatory democracy ...
>I was referring to the comment you made in your original email ...

I wasn't talking about "participatory democracy" and did not mention
it in that
posting:  <http://mailman.anu.edu.au/pipermail/link/2009-June/084189.html>.

I was suggesting the government could use web pages which are
accessible/mobile compatible,  without copyright restrictions and
about how from July the ANU is using the web to teach public servants
to communicate online and combat global warming:
<http://www.tomw.net.au/technology/it/mgovernment/>.

This is old fashioned "representative democracy" as we have in
Australia at present, just web enabled. The techniques can also be
applied within organisations (such as companies and government
agncies) which don't use democracy.

The only message to Link which I could find using the term
"participatory democracy" this year was in March:
<http://mailman.anu.edu.au/pipermail/link/2009-March/082339.html>.

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                      http://www.tomw.net.au/
Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Australian National University