[LINK] Government 2.0: Policy and Practice

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Wed Jun 24 11:38:03 AEST 2009

Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
> Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>> Tom Worthington wrote:
>>> I wasn't talking about "participatory democracy" and did not mention
>>> it in that posting:
>>> <http://mailman.anu.edu.au/pipermail/link/2009-June/084189.html>.
>> In your email you used the term "participatory government" which I
>> (maybe mistakenly) assumed you were talking about in the context of
>> "participatory democracy".
>>
>> So what did you mean by "participatory government"?
>>

> From a speaker's perspective - this is the Public Sphere #2 model:
In the context of "participatory government" and "participatory
democracy", participatory usually means being part of the decision
making process. This is the part that worries me.

My preference is for competent people to make decisions and be
responsible/accountable for those decisions. It seems to me that
participatory government/democracy leaves out the
competent/responsible/accountable bits.

--

Regards
brd