[LINK] ICANN conference with no Net supplied

Kim Davies kim at cynosure.com.au
Wed Jun 24 16:04:31 AEST 2009

Tom, All,

| One would hope Mr Twomey has learnt a bit in the last 16 years.
| In 1993 when he woerked at Telstra, he said to me (on the subject of

I just asked, and Paul did not work for Telstra.

| I wonder who organised that little snafu.
| Hmmm wonder if it was Telstra expecting to make a motza on the
| international roaming data rates of the participating international
| delegates.
| Yep - probably was. Doesn't bode well for the future...
| In about a month, 1400+ delegates will receive their international
| roaming bill for data and hit the roof.

At the ICANN conference we have around 50 wireless access points set
up across the conference space and hotel common areas, with a 100mbps
full duplex link to the outside world, peaking around 30mbps so far. The
network is fully IPv4 and IPv6 dual-stack with connectivity from Telstra
and Vocus.

Over this network all attendees have unrestricted Internet access,
and most of ICANN's sessions are being broadcast via video over the
Internet, through IP telephony as conference calls, as well as with live
transcriptions provided by court stenographers.

I am hoping for Link's discussions to return to non-fantasy discourse
soon.

kim