[LINK] Conroy lays out civil engineering interests

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Thu Jun 25 10:32:51 AEST 2009

Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
> Conroy lays out civil engineering interests
> By Staff writers
> Jun 24, 2009 2:04 PM
> iTnews
> http://www.itnews.com.au/News/148429,conroy-lays-out-civil-engineering-interests.aspx
>
> Telstra ducts not the only underground path.
>
> Senator Conroy has used an address at the National General Assembly of
> Local Government to invite more inputs on how the NBN might "interact"
> with local planning laws.
>
> Conroy said that local government authorities would be provided a
> "formal opportunity" for input through a range of consultations other
> "One topic of interest is the scope NBNCo has to utilise road and
> trenching constructions as they take place to bury broadband facilities
> underground," Conroy said.
<snip>

Apparently, I have the dubious honour of being the only person to respond to
Leichhardt Council's draft budget and strategy, which was recently on public
exhibition.

In looking through the budget I commented that there seemed to be no revenue from
the Utility companies. Apparently AGL is the only one who pays for access through
Local Council administered land (ie verges).

This was close to my heart, as some years ago, I had written to the councils
objecting to the installation of cable for paytv, saying that I supported
Wireless ( Free and Pay TV).

The council wrote back and said I should be pleased that they had on behalf of
residents/ratepayers(maybe even voters), they had forced Telstra to put the cables
underground.

In 2000, the federal court said councils could charge the telcos for the access.
Telstra/Optus appealed to the High Court and the result is they now have free
access. For links and context see:
<http://www.ramin.com.au/annandale/lmc-budget.shtml>

Marghanita
--