[LINK] Grocery Choice - what's the problem?

Sylvano sylvano at gnomon.com.au
Mon Jun 29 16:59:00 AEST 2009

On Mon, June 29, 2009 4:35 pm, David Boxall wrote:
> If I'm not mistaken, the supermarkets that would have been involved in
> Grocery Choice use scanners. For that, they'd need back-end databases of
> products and prices. Once set up, transmitting part or all of that data
> to Grocery Choice should cost zero (or near to it). Coles reckons it
> would cost $8 million a year to do it twice per week (8 million/104 =
> $76,923 - what were they planning to do? Tattoo prices, one-by-one, on
> the buttocks of forked-stick messengers?).
>
> I obviously have a lot to learn. Perhaps someone on Link can enlighten me.

Collecting, collating and presenting data is never simple and never easy.
The involvement of major commercial interests further complicates the
matter.

Multitudes of data handling issues have to be addressed.  For example, it
is not just a price list matter.  There are issues of stock availability.
You can't list a price for something that *may* be out of stock by the
time a customer arrives. Or, what is the legal/commercial/image
implication to listing a particular price? Need it be valid all that day
of listing.  What about spot discounts? etc, etc.

Also, note the following FAQ item on the website:

<quote>
Q: Why don't you list my supermarket?

The reason it's all so secretive is that we don't want to make it too easy
to work out which supermarkets are on the survey list – otherwise it would
be too easy to just drop the prices at the supermarkets we survey, which
kind of defeats the purpose.
</quote>

 refer: http://www.grocerychoice.gov.au/static/FAQ.aspx

I would have thought that kind of was the purpose ;-) ....

Gnomon Publishing
http://www.gnomon.com.au/