[LINK] Surveillance Society

Chris Gilbey chris at perceptric.com
Sun Mar 1 07:01:16 AEDT 2009

Snip

< Laws that allow officials to monitor the behaviour of millions of Britons
risk ³hardwiring surveillance² into the British way of life, the country's
privacy watchdog has warned.

Richard Thomas told The Times that ³creeping surveillance² in the public and
private sectors had gone ³too far, too fast² and risked undermining
democracy.

The Information Commissioner warned that proposals to allow widespread data
sharing between Whitehall and the private sector were too far-reaching and
that plans to create a giant database of every telephone call, e-mail and
text message risked turning everyone into a suspect. ³In the last 10 or 15
years a great deal of surveillance in public and private places has been
extended without sufficient thought to the risks and consequences,² said Mr
Thomas, 59. ³Our society is based on liberty and democracy. I do not want to
see excessive surveillance hardwired into British society.² >

Full story is at

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article5812076.ece