[LINK] Telstra to do SMS message

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Mon Mar 2 14:49:07 AEDT 2009

Lea de Groot wrote:
> On 02/03/2009, at 12:58 PM, Jan Whitaker wrote:
>
>> In a Victorian first, Telstra will send an emergency information text
> <snip>
>> Victoria Police Assistant Commissioner Steve Fontana said Telstra and
>> other networks would send <snip>
>
> Is it just me, or is there just a little bit of bias in this story?
>
> I read it like this:
> <singing, dancing and bling>TELSTRA!!!!!</attention grabbing> <small
> soto voice>and other unnnamed networks</quietness> are...
>
> Don't like stories like this, particularly for this sort of material :(
>
> Lea

It may not be telstra's fault, it may just be that not everyone has a detailed
understanding of the Telecommunications providers (at least he didn't say
Telecom)...though if you do want a conspiracy, see my earlier posting about
Telstra and Fairfax (owner of Age).
<http://mailman.anu.edu.au/pipermail/link/2009-February/081822.html>

There isn't a media release on either Telstra or the vic police site, but no
mention of SMS or mobile phones, on the police site:

<http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=19831>

--
Marghanita da Cruz
http://www.ramin.com.au