[LINK] technical question: security alert

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Thu Mar 5 04:05:31 AEDT 2009

The standard is the IANA port list
but this doesn't include the black ports list - ports used
"unofficially" by malware.

wikipedia has a list of common port numbers :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers

and says 6882 is bittorrent.  If your ISP dynamically allocates you an
IP address and it changes every so often then it could be someone
trying a reach a bittorrent client that was previously at your IP
address.  Alternatively it could be someone scanning for a bittorrent
client that has an exploitable vulnerability.

Normally with a log of inbound connections you should see a lot of
network and malware probes.

Kim

--
Kim Holburn