[LINK] technical question: security alert

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Thu Mar 5 08:15:38 AEDT 2009

Scott writes,

> Because it seems to be the day of posting your own IP checkers,
> http://ip.zsdemo.com diffs between the IP received & X-forwarded

Jan and Rachel write,

>> But I don't know what this all means and if it's dangerous or if
>> it means my firewall is working.
>
> Port 6882 is a Bittorrent port. It is possible that someone has
> cached your IP when it was a source for a torrent and they are
> trying to connect, or your system currently hosts a torrent file
> on behalf of yourself or some evildoer has got onto your PC and
> done it for you. Block Port 6882 unless you need it!

For more, this website's useful .. eg, their new freeware yesterday

 http://www.networkingfiles.com/category/networking/

* IP Sniffer
Wednesday, March 4th, 2009

IP Sniffer is a suite of IP Tools built around a packet sniffer.The
packet sniffer can work on all Windows versions using either: the new raw
socket implementation of Windows2000 (driverless), WinPcap (needs to be
installed), a NDIS protocol (needs to be installed , no reboot).

* ManageEngine OpManager
Wednesday, March 4th, 2009

ManageEngine OpManager is a complete network monitoring software that
offers combined WAN, Server, Applications monitoring with integrated help
desk, asset management & WAN traffic analysis functionality.

* Moo0 ConnectionWatcher
Wednesday, March 4th, 2009

Moo0 ConnectionWatcher is a software that enables you to watch over any
TCP/UDP connection from/to your PC. Using this software, you may discover
which software sends/receive information with whom in detail.

* MySpeed PC Lite
Wednesday, March 4th, 2009

MySpeed PC is a downloadable speed test software that accurately measures
your Internet connection bandwidth. In addition, MySpeed PC will provide
easy to understand reports of all your download and upload speeds, as
well as the connection quality.

* DynIP
Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009

The DynIP application was designed to be a simple program that will allow
you to post your dynamic IP address up to your web site. This is the case
for most internet users who connect to the internet through an ISP which
assigns them a different IP address each time they connect.

More in archives ..
--

Cheers,
Stephen