[LINK] technical question: security alert

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Thu Mar 5 09:53:28 AEDT 2009

On 2009/Mar/04, at 9:23 PM, Scott Howard wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 8:56 AM, Kim Holburn <kim.holburn at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Actually, if you use a ISP with a proxy or it unknown to you has a
>> transparent proxy this probably won't give you your IP.
>

> Most ISPs using transparent proxies also do "IP Spoofing" so that the
> packets hitting the website will appear to come from your IP address
> (ie,
> that of your NAT/ADSL link/etc) even though they actually don't.

I really doubt that ISPs that have transparent proxies would do this.
If they did the return packets from the web-site would go straight to
the client and not go through the proxy unless they caught them
somehow.  That'd be a complicated setup.  Certainly the only ISP I had
that had a transparent proxy did not do anything fancy like this.  I
ended up knowing lots about that proxy because developing and updating
websites through a proxy, transparent or no, is a real pain.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant