[LINK] The US and THEM of P2P

Brendan Scott brendansweb at optusnet.com.au
Fri Mar 6 01:17:23 AEDT 2009

My comments are here:
http://brendanscott.wordpress.com/2009/03/05/copyright-pirates-in-sa-police-force/

In short: I think the circumstances have the potential to give rise to at least one offence.
NB: IANACL

In respect of s110AA - the report does say that the copying is illegal.  The odd thing about 110AA is that it uses the term "videotape" - which is not defined in the Act and, as far as I can tell, only appears in s 110AA.  You'd need to check the EM to see whether anything was intended, but it is not clear that copying of DVDs would be covered.

>From the EM (it is ambiguous):

6.44 New sub-s 110AA(1) lists a number of conditions necessary for the new
exception to operate. First, the main copy must be made in electronic form from
videotape embodying a cinematograph film in analog form and made by the owner of
the videotape for his or her private and domestic use instead of the videotape
(paragraph 110AA(1)(a)). This will permit a person, eg, to copy or ‘dub’ a film from a
videotape to a DVD but not to copy a videotape to another videotape nor to copy a
DVD to another DVD. The phrase ‘instead of’ indicates that the owner may view a
film using the original videotape and by means of a main copy in electronic form; that
is, the owner is not required to store the original videotape.