[LINK] OFF TOPIC: School uniforms

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Wed Mar 11 20:00:05 AEDT 2009

On 11/03/2009, at 7:01 PM, Karl Auer wrote:

> Clothing is one small aspect of "discipline" anyway, and most clothing
> requirements are directly defensible by reference to decency, safety
> etc.

I've just spoken to my wife (a secondary teacher) who assures me that
the main issue (at least in the ACT public schooling system) is the
aspect of decency, and what is considered appropriate clothing to be
permitted in a school environment.

Whilst some schools enforce different levels of 'uniform' (and the
definition of uniform varies from school to school), the main concern
is that students are appropriately dressed not just from a safety
perspective (for example, in art/industrial arts/science/etc), but
from a perspective of decency and fairness to all others.

Students apparently push the envelope of decency all the time (who
would have guessed?) - not just the amount of flesh visible (common
problem with girls, I'm told), but also what is written or depicted on
clothing, accessories, or books and bags (yes, even school books).

'Decency' ranges vary from school to school, but the primary focus is
on respect for others, and acknowledging the sensitivities of those
who might be or who is affected by another student, or groups of
students.

It's a communal environment, so the idea is to create and environment
where everyone is safe, respected, and without contentious
distractions. Uniforms are one small measure of this activity, and for
many, it negates the issue of students wearing potentially offensive
or provocative clothing, or other apparel.

Fascinating topic, for sure. The legal dimensions simply add another
layer.

iT