[LINK] super-fast cable broadband (1)

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Fri Mar 13 01:01:55 AEDT 2009

Telstra Media Release
March 10, 2009

http://news.iguana2.com/ainvestor/ASX/TLS/315051

Telstra unveils super-fast cable broadband - Melbourne first to be
upgraded

Telstra today announced that its hybrid fibre coaxial cable broadband
network in Melbourne will be upgraded to 100Mbps – more than triple the
current peak speed – by Christmas.

Using new technology already successfully deployed in several cable
networks overseas, Telstra will immediately begin work to turbo-charge
its five-city cable network.

Melbourne is stage one of Telstra’s deployment of next generation super-
fast broadband technologies into its cable network, which already passes
2.5 million homes in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth.

Cable, along with Telstra’s other fixed-line infrastructure, will be a
key driver of next generation broadband in Australia, as it is around the
world.  This cable upgrade will position Telstra to deliver on its
vision of a world-class fixed-line infrastructure that complements our
world-leading Next G™ mobile broadband network in delivering services
that meet our customers’ needs.

Work will start immediately with the installation of DOCSIS 3.0 software
and related infrastructure in the Melbourne cable network. Telstra will
invest about $300 million in the cable upgrade this calendar year.

This upgrade will increase the peak download speeds in Melbourne homes to
100Mbps, with further upgrades potentially to speeds of up to 200Mbps.

It will build on the recent BigPond Cable Extreme upgrade, which already
provides download speeds on the cable network of up to 30Mbps to 1.8
million homes, with another 700,000 homes having speeds up to 17Mbps.

Telstra estimates that nearly one million Melbourne homes stand to
benefit from the experience of super-fast broadband once the upgrade to
provide speeds of up to 100Mbps is completed.

Telstra CEO Sol Trujillo said the cable upgrade continues Telstra’s
strategy of bringing high-speed broadband to Australians, as the company
has done with the Next G™ network. Next G™ covers 99 per cent of the
population and is engineered to peak network download speeds of 21Mbps

“BigPond Cable Extreme transformed the cable network into a high-speed
broadband network,” Mr Trujillo said.  “Now we are going to the next
level: super-fast broadband with download speeds among the highest in the
world.

“Late last year, Telstra foreshadowed that we would continue our
investment in our cable network and, with the DOCSIS 3.0 software now
well-established internationally, we have the ability to dramatically
increase speeds into Australian homes.

 “Melbourne will be the first city to benefit from the cable network’s
super-fast broadband speeds. This broadband upgrade will bring the next
generation of the internet to Melburnians, enabling new work-
from-home, learning, security, entertainment, health care and energy-
saving choices at home.  It will help spawn an innovative, video-based,
applications and content services sector in Australia.

“It will enable households to do the things that they want to do, but
can’t do at today’s broadband speeds.

“Families will be able to choose a high-definition movie from an online
catalogue and download it in a little over a minute to watch on the
family’s big-screen TV.  At the same time, they could watch their
favourite sport on FOXTEL in high-definition, with instant match
statistics at their fingertips and, in the near future, control of camera
angles.  Simultaneously, they could share a video file in a high-
resolution video conference with friends and family, as well as review
test results with their doctor, without leaving home.”

Mr Trujillo continued: “As well as super-fast broadband, it is important
that this upgrade will turn the cable network into a two-way, fully
interactive platform paving the way to an array of existing and next
generation services for customers.

“As Telstra has done with Next G™ and Next IP™ in wireless and business
broadband, we intend to leverage our cable network to lead the market in
providing world leading services to meet our customers’ individual
needs.”

Telstra Media Contacts:
Andrew Butcher
Tel:  03 9634 8739