[LINK] Auntie in Your Pocket

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Tue Mar 17 08:27:20 AEDT 2009

On 17/03/2009, at 7:07 AM, Stilgherrian wrote:

> On 16/03/2009, at 11:27 PM, George Bray wrote:
>> The iPhone app is wonderful.  News, TV + Radio recordings (not live),
>> Program Guides, Movie Reviews and more right there in your pocket.
>
> This review was less flattering:
> 'You can't spell Lowest Common Denominator without "ABC Mobile"'
> http://departmentofinternets.com/2009/you-cant-spell-lowest-common-denominator-without-abc-mobile/
> or
> http://is.gd/nu5v

It's not the ABC iPhone app that is being reviewed on the above page,
for sure.

I'll second George Bray's view: the iPhone app is very well done and
is a very useful app from the iPhones app store.

On the other hand, http://www.abc.net.au is not well-optimised for an
iPhone viewing experience (and takes forever to load), and the so-
called 'mobile experience' appears to be what is reviewed in the URL
above (it's really http://m.abc.net.au), and I concur that it's pretty
terrible, and possibly only useful for Android users, or people with
phones other than an iPhone.

Hilariously, when a user clicks on the location change link, there is
no obvious option to make any changes whatsoever, so Sydney must be
'it' for ABC 'mobile' users, unless they are prepared to wade through
the confusing and highly irregular interface.

Compared with the iPhone app, visitors to m.abc.net.au are served by
an idiotic interface, and a functionally poor website mashed together
by deranged web designers. The mobile website is a masterpiece of bad
design.

The iPhone app, on the other hand, is savvy, useful, functional, easy-
to-use, and as George states, 'wonderful'. I'd add that it is very
polished, and clearly built by an entirely different design team
altogether.

iT