[LINK] Auntie in Your Pocket

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Tue Mar 17 09:51:16 AEDT 2009

Ivan Trundle wrote:
> On 17/03/2009, at 7:07 AM, Stilgherrian wrote:
>
>> On 16/03/2009, at 11:27 PM, George Bray wrote:
>>> The iPhone app is wonderful.  News, TV + Radio recordings (not live),
>>> Program Guides, Movie Reviews and more right there in your pocket.
>> This review was less flattering:
>> 'You can't spell Lowest Common Denominator without "ABC Mobile"'
>> http://departmentofinternets.com/2009/you-cant-spell-lowest-common-denominator-without-abc-mobile/
>> or
>> http://is.gd/nu5v
>
> It's not the ABC iPhone app that is being reviewed on the above page,
> for sure.
>
> I'll second George Bray's view: the iPhone app is very well done and
> is a very useful app from the iPhones app store.
>
> On the other hand, http://www.abc.net.au is not well-optimised for an
> iPhone viewing experience (and takes forever to load), and the so-
> called 'mobile experience' appears to be what is reviewed in the URL
> above (it's really http://m.abc.net.au), and I concur that it's pretty
> terrible, and possibly only useful for Android users, or people with
> phones other than an iPhone.
>
> Hilariously, when a user clicks on the location change link, there is
> no obvious option to make any changes whatsoever, so Sydney must be
> 'it' for ABC 'mobile' users, unless they are prepared to wade through
> the confusing and highly irregular interface.
>
> Compared with the iPhone app, visitors to m.abc.net.au are served by
> an idiotic interface, and a functionally poor website mashed together
> by deranged web designers. The mobile website is a masterpiece of bad
> design.
>
> The iPhone app, on the other hand, is savvy, useful, functional, easy-
> to-use, and as George states, 'wonderful'. I'd add that it is very
> polished, and clearly built by an entirely different design team
> altogether.

I don't quite understand. Are you telling me that there are three versions of
the website - one for the I-Phone, two open formats, one for big screens and one
for little screens.

All, I can say is that I hope Apple and the relevant Telcos/Phone providers are
funding this development. Since this appears to be the way the Web is going:
<http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/sitechnews/~3/US9W2NJvhZc/Huawei_showcases_its_Android_Smartphone_at_Mobile_World_Congress-nid-52609.html>
<http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/sitechnews/~3/tg4SC7Fso3w/38_Million_Indians_access_web_vis
ia_mobile-nid-52267.html>

Marghanita