[LINK] [AusNOG] [ISOC-AU-mems] Happy Birthday ... AARNet

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Tue Mar 17 17:43:21 AEDT 2009

On 17/03/2009, at 2:45 PM, Narelle wrote:

> I think some of you guys are confusing ACSNet, CSIRONet and AARNet.

nope - bits of my memory might be fading, but not that :-)

> Big difference is uucp vs IP.

um - no!

ACSNET was its own protocol - it was loosely derived from the UUCP
work but the key differentiator was the addition of virtual channels
into the wire.

CSIRONET was an X.25 network that was ostensibly an access network
using the X.25 PAD protocols to gain access to thge CSIRO time shares
hosts. There were CSIRONET access nodes (PDP-11's running the X.25
software with leased line connections) on a number of the large
campuses. CSIRO used to charge for access to their mainframe systems,
but did not charge for the network component. So it was possible at
the time to make edge-to-edge connections across CSIRONET without
incurring a bill

AARNet started out as a multi-proto network - Pete Elford and I set up
DECnet, X.25 and IP in the first instance.

> WIth AARNet in 89 we set out IP addressing plans and built network.

well we had 3 addressplans underway

> In ACSNet and CSIRONet things were nailed together via serial links
> and uucp.

well, everything uses "serial links" of one sort or another.

> I have a paper here on CSIRONet dating back to 71. Data was
> certainly transferred, and messages sent, even chat and email on
> ACSNet, but it was not IP.

ACSnet was never a real time system - email, yes by the truckload,
usenet news and various forms of ftp-via-email relays.

CSIRONet was an early X.25 system. Telstra came out with their Austpac
product some years later.

> IP networks, when done in _public_ equals Internet... AARNet was first
> here in Australia...

That's certainly my recollection as well.

> But yeah - munnari spanned both, didn't it?

munnari was Robert Elz's host. It was multi-lingual in that it spanned
ACSnet, the UUCP network and had a 'master' sendmail.cf config file
that was managed with awesome excellence! It acted as a major relay
hub for many years in the 80's and early 90's/

enough of this old fart stuff - back to work!

;-)

   Geoff