[LINK] Australian ISP Peering

Glen Turner gdt at gdt.id.au
Wed Mar 18 11:53:05 AEDT 2009

Geoff Huston wrote:

> That said, my _personal speculation_ is that Telstra would not
> undertake measures that it perceives are not in its commercial
> interests.  Like any private corporate entity Telstra is bound to
> operate in the interests of its shareholders and that equates to
> operating along principles of maximizing beneficial outcomes to its
> shareholders, If you would rather Telstra adopted a different position
> then I would speculate that it would be incumbent on you to challenge
> this assumption and convince them as to how its commercial interests
> would be improved by a change in their stance, or it would be
> incumbent on your to call in the market regulators and make the case
> to the regulatory authorities that Telstra's actions fall foul of the
> relevant regulatory conditions.

Agreed. Having said so, the lack of undersea diversity out of Australia
combined with the lack of Australia peering should have lead the regulators
to act some time ago to ensure the stability of Australian telecommunications
again a act of nature causing a fiber cut (the Taiwan scenario) or the
destruction of major US peering points (the long-anticipated San Andreas
earthquake).

[Not speaking for my employer, etc, etc]

--
  Glen Turner