[LINK] Possible Letter to Conroy (the real one)

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Thu Mar 19 15:53:24 AEDT 2009

Senator Conroy

cc. Senator Faulkner

Dear Senator Conroy

Your Government has blocked access to the site wikileaks.org.

This is a crucial web-site, because it enables freedom of information
to be achieved in undemocratic jurisdictions.

Firstly, blocking it is an outrageous act of censorship, the like of
which hasn't been seen in this country since the days of Menzies.

Secondly, it's completely inconsistent with your Government's stand
on freedom of information.

Thirdly, it's futile.

There are multiple techniques whereby the blockage can be
circumvented, gone-around or subverted, both by service-providers and
by end-users.

The first-round effect of this step is to block the site, briefly for
some, and a little longer for others.

The second-round effect is to destroy the credibility of yourself,
your Government, and the country as a whole.

I/We urge that you reverse the decision immediately, and thereby
avoid the backlash, which is gathering speed already, and which will
teach a lot of people how to circumvent half-baked interferences with
open operation of the Internet.

Y.s.  ...  [One, Some, Many?]

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong