[LINK] Information controls in the Age of Information

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Sun Mar 22 16:01:43 AEDT 2009

My SPAM filter caught your post. That works, at least!

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 at 10:37:37 +0000 Leah Manta wrote:
> If you are offended ...
The subject is offensive, but that would be a poor excuse for hiding
from it.
> I do feel that there is one sort of information we do want to Prevent
> being accessed or created.

There are people responsible for protecting the innocent from access and
laws prohibiting access by others. We have laws against creation of the
information in question.

Is information control too much of a perversion of our society? I guess
it comes down to a choice of evils.

<snip a lot that people on the list probably don't want repeated>

Many years ago, I saw some of what you describe. I'd probably be happier
if I hadn't but, though some might say that ignorance is bliss, I reckon
it's just ignorance.

> Now the issue is, today, a 15 year old has a lot of power over a 10
> year old.  There is a VAST difference between 10 and 15.
Children do stupid, sometimes mean and harmful, things. They haven't
lived long enough to learn better. Education and minimising harm are
adults' responsibilities. What I still haven't come to terms with is
that adults, who've lived long enough to be aware of the impact of their
actions, still do such evil.
> It's either that or pick the kids up from school, lock them in the
> house till the next morning, disconnect the TV, Internet, DVD player ...

Hmmm ... I see some attractions in that scenario.
>> Australia is, nominally, a free and open democracy. We live in the
>> Information Age, of which the Internet is part. Are attempts to control
>> information consistent with that environment?
>
> No and I totally agree.  I do not support governments blocking web
> sites or propaganda material that might differ to their own
> views.  That's just plain wrong.
Are absolute concepts like right and wrong appropriate? It seems to me
that "right" isn't achievable.

The best we can do is hold to account _all_ of the culpable. The
producers of the material in question, the consumers of that material
and those who neglect their duties to the victims. By and large, the
latter are parents.

There's no acceptable way of preventing people who are unfit to parent
from becoming parents. I can't think of any way of holding negligent
parents to account that wouldn't further traumatise the victims.
> But humans are jealous creatures who like power and status,...

The Pornography of Greed. I used to think that the Pornography of
Violence was the most damaging to our society. Recent (and ongoing)
events give cause to reconsider.
<MODE=EXTREMIST>
The peddlers of the proposed social perversion (the filter &/or
censorship) evidently believe they're doing God's work. I reckon they're
influenced by His opposition. Much like those who kill others (and
frequently themselves) in the name of their deity.
</MODE>

--
David Boxall                    |  The more that wise people learn
                                |  The more they come to appreciate
                                |  How much they don't know.
                                                        --Confucius