[LINK] BPL

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Tue Mar 24 10:54:47 AEDT 2009

Robin Whittle wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> I promised myself I would write no more on this, but I am shocked by
> your gullibility in accepting the marketing dross which passes for
> technically correct information about Broadband Over Powerlines AKA
> Powerline Communications (PLC).

I'd like to support Robin's views that BPL is totally unsuitable for
broadband in any meaningful way.

I'm an Electrical Engineer from way back and do understand what Robin
says. If I could paraphrase the information he has provided it would be
like this:

a) broadband signals do not like long open wires - they attenuate rapidly
b) broadband signals do not travel at all through transformers.

these two facts alone make the transmission line and retail distribution
system unsuitable as conduits for broadband.

If the transmission industry could just get rid of the steel cables
between the power and distribution stations and also remove all those
transformers in the system then there may be a chance. But if they did
they would have replicated the phone system.

Just in case it is not obvious, that last paragraph is my attempt at
sarcasm.

--

Regards
brd