[LINK] [AusNOG] [ISOC-AU-mems] Happy Birthday ... AARNet

Carl Makin carl at stagecraft.cx
Thu Mar 26 22:40:18 AEDT 2009

On 26/03/2009, at 6:07 PM, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:

> I thought the debate was TokenRing vs Ethernet for the lowest level
> of the OSI model.
>
> Netware/DECNET/TCP/IP etc were the next level up.

Yes that was the technical debate but was not how the trial was
conducted.  They evaluated Pathworks over 10Mbit ethernet vs Netware
over 16Mbit (I think) token ring and chose Pathworks.  We were using
DECNET already since we had a large Vax/VMS environment at the time.
This would have been around 1993.

DECNET was a little unusual in that it overrode the MAC address of the
ethernet card with an address derived from the node number.  If you
got it wrong on a PC on the network (and it happened a few times) then
you could crash the vax cluster.

Carl.