[LINK] Fwd: Expert Panel: The Seven Stages of IPv6 Adoption

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Sat Mar 28 00:57:18 AEDT 2009

On 2009/Mar/27, at 2:30 PM, Karl Auer wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-03-27 at 12:04 +0100, Kim Holburn wrote:
>> I don't think you've got my point.  Yes, my internal address is that
>> but it really doesn't get you far and I'm not trying to hide it.  I
>> could change it to almost anything.
>
> My IPv6 address won't get you far either. I could change it to
> anything.
> Automatically even. IPv6 supports "privacy addresses", they are even
> the
> default in XP and Vista (stupid design decision that).
>
>>  Routers often keep no logs of
>> this.  To track me from my ISP IP requires effort.
>
> As it would with an IPv6 address. Slightly less if it's static, but
> only
> slightly. It depends what you mean by "track" too.

Here I meant to get from an ISP IP to an account name.

>>  Unless I have
>> broken the law and you have the help of government agencies, a lot of
>> effort.
>
> No, not really. One look at an email does the trick. If you are
> *trying*
> to hide, then yes it's trickier. As it would be if I was *trying* to
> hide with an IPv6 address.
>
>>  You will have to ask my ISP and somehow get through the
>> layers of privacy laws.
>
> Only if you have tried to hide. Either way, I get only as far as your
> outside address, then the rules change.
>
>>  If I am travelling my IP address will
>> probably be whatever local ISPs give me.  Each ISP would require
>> effort to untangle.
>
> Ditto with IPv6.
>
>> Whereas assuming your IPv6 address comes up in smtp headers it will
>> be
>> traceable to a particular machine - if it's a laptop the IPv6
>> address,
>> as I understand it, will be the same wherever you have travelled to
>> and it's there in your headers, knowledge but no effort required to
>> get it.  That's considerably more information than IPv4 provides.
>
> Nope. If I travel, I will not get the same IPv6 address wherever I
> go, I
> will get addresses delivered by the ISPs I happen to connect to,
> just as
> it is with IPv4. That may be similar to my home address, especially if
> the ISP allows autoconfiguration (which I doubt will generally be the
> case).

OK, that wasn't clear to me.  I had the idea every machine had its own
unique IPv6 IP.

> I will only get the same address if I use a tunnel - much as you
> might get the same address if you used a company VPN or similar.
>
>> As long as you don't mind the occasional collision you have a huge
>> range to choose from.  Not of course as big as IPv6 but bigger than
>> you would need.  Even through something like TOR your IPv6 address
>> would show up!
>
> Sorry, I just felt that the difference between six months and 500
> billion years was worth mentioning. Seems significant to me. Also, to
> use IPv4 addresses for these purposes is difficult and tricky; to use
> IPv6 in this way is not only straightforward, it's built into the
> protocol.

Here I'm talking about the way things turn up in email headers.  From
my email headers it seems the IP number my email client thinks it is
is recorded in the headers.  I assume this piece of info ie the client
IP (the IPv6 ip the client thinks it is) turns up in email headers.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant