[LINK] Do we have Rule 11 here?

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Sat Mar 28 03:46:10 AEDT 2009

The RIAA or ARIA as they're acronymiously known in Australia, haven't
embarked quite the same kind of direct, systematic litigation of their
best customers, yet.  (Except for doctors, chiropractors and PABXs,
and I think they were so successful with that they have been raking in
the licensing lolly since then.)

It looks like all over the world the music monopoly industry have
orchestrated a coordinated campaign to lobby, bully or in this case
litigate ISPs into disconnecting their own customers.  Since this is
the first one of its type and will be somewhat of a precedent setter,
in fact a law creating kind of litigation, I don't think punitive
damages for vexatious litigation is really going to be appropriate
here.  If it's successful they'll probably keep doing it to all the
ISPs, if it's not they'll just keep lobbying or possibly try suing
their customers but it hasn't really been a great success in the US,
I'm not sure it'd be any better in Australia.