[LINK] making the index transparent (was Re: Police raid home of Wikileaks.de domain owner over censorship lists

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Sat Mar 28 04:51:40 AEDT 2009

I like this idea.   I think with a few additions it might be workable.

On 2009/Mar/25, at 1:14 PM, Leah Manta wrote:

> At 11:47 25/03/2009, Kim Holburn wrote:
>> http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Police_raid_home_of_Wikileaks.de_domain_owner_over_censorship_lists
>> Seems possible this is the result of wikileaks publishing the ACMA
>> list which included links to sites with child pornography:
>
> [snip] other relevant stuff about Minister and Black Lists.
>
> Books, Magazines, Movies and Video games that are classified RC are
> listed in a public access database.
>
> This means anyone can find out the title of such products that are
> 'censored' or 'banned'
>
> I don't think ANYONE objects to the Blacklist being kept secret from
> the perspective of the URLs themselves.

I'm not sure if adding any information will stop a google search for
it.  On the other hand I think for the purposes of openness you have
to add some identifying info.

> The issue is "What's in the list" to prevent abuse of the list
> listing Dentists and Opposing Political Views and so on.
>
> I feel that if instead of arguing about exposing the list, which
> then makes URLs (that probably change every 48 hours anyway if they
> are porn or child abuse) visible to people to be curious about "to
> gawk" and "rubber neck", why can't everyone focus on a method of
> giving Title to the URLs that are being listed.
>
> A Public Database that lists the:
> - DATE of entry into the database,
> - classification it would receive (because the URLs are NOT
> classified officially through application, they are just 'presumed
> to receive' a specific classification)
> - Title of the page (or site)
> - Description of the page or content.  "Bestiality" or "Child
> Pornography"
> - The Geographical location (may be assumption too) of the site

The IP or at least a hashed or encrypted version of the IP and the
whois entry for the IP.
If it's just one page in an otherwise ordinary site with a large
number of pages like say wikipedia then an encrypted form of the URL
and the host name.
A note as to whether the URL refers to one page or to the whole site
or a major portion of the site.
a hash of the page you get from the URL.
A button that can test if the current page is the same as the banned
page, the IP is the same, the whois info is the same.

> - Reason for Listing  (5 multiple choice options perhaps, I can't
> imagine there would be many variations, but they can always be added.)
>
> I'd then recommend, that any domain name that does not contain
> obvious keywords related to inappropriate sexual content or weapons
> or terrorism or whatever, be provided in the listing.  In most cases
> on the 2nd level and TLD will be required.  Looking over the
> published list I'd feel fairly confident this would be satisfactory.
>
> The result is that people can then check their domain names to see
> if they are listed - by accident or otherwise, and the reasons.
> Then a Speedy remedy can be applied to have the entry removed from
> the list.

A page where you could input your website URL and it tell you if your
site was banned, had a banned page and if so would take you to the
database page.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant