[LINK] Fyi: nationalsecurity.gov.au

Sylvano sylvano at gnomon.com.au
Mon Mar 30 06:54:51 AEDT 2009

If you follow this link - which I will not make tiny just to highlight it's
length - you are presented with a clickable map of Australia, to follow
through to relevant security/terror sites for each jurisdiction. Or so I would
belive.

A dot list  of the actual url's would much more straight forward, but may
perhaps highlight the patchy efforts made to supply security/terror info
online.  I supply a list to the url's below in descending order of good
effort, based upon my ten minutes effort this morning before a second
coffee...

http://www.nationalsecurity.gov.au/agd/WWW/NationalSecurity.nsf/Page/Information_for_Individuals_National_Security_Alert_System_National_Counter-
Terrorism_Alert_System

My notion of "goodness" is influenced by the following para of text leading up
to the link:

<quote>
While the Alert System may not directly affect your day to day life, it is
important that you are aware that these arrangements exist. All Australian
governments are committed to ensuring that you can have confidence in
Australia’s ability to respond to any terrorist risk or situation.
</quote>

http://www.secure.nsw.gov.au/
One thing NSW seems to have gotten right. On first look at least... I mean the
url has 'secure' in it.

http://www.police.sa.gov.au/sapol/home.jsp
No obvious link to terror/security stuff, but it is the police and the main
page looks to be an updated list of current notifications/news.

http://www.police.wa.gov.au/
Again, the standard police site.  And they support Earth Hour in WA! but I
can't see an obvious link to terror/security.

http://www.pfes.nt.gov.au/
NT has a tri-services arrangement it seems, and this is the standard portal to
the emergency services there.  No obvious security/terror stuff and no
indication it has updated notifications. Feels very much to be a brochure
site.

http://www.vic.gov.au/
just the standard state portal, with what would seem to be an updated list of
Quick Links to current/recent issues.

http://www.cmd.act.gov.au/
looks like a standard portal. Wheres's the link to security.  Too hard for me.

http://www.premiers.qld.gov.au/Security_planning/
"Security planning - Counter-terrorism and pandemic influenza" is the sum
total of the words of actual content on the page, until you realise that it's
a link, with expandable optiosn list 8-)  BUT then I tried following some and
was disappointed to find a labyrinth of nested expandable links with some only
reloading the page on which the link was sitting. A big thumbs down from me.

Last - but certainly not least - is the winner in my mind.  I know out of
order, but you need a drum roll for a winner's list.

http://www.statesecurity.tas.gov.au/
url indicates the topic is relevant, and the site actually seems relevant, and
there are links to obvious topic area, tellign me about there State Crisis
Centre arrangements, Fact sheets to the alert system, etc.

Well done Tassie!.

Sylvano
--
Gnomon Publishing
http://www.gnomon.com.au

PS: It's a pity that the Main logo isn't clickable to the home page. I like
big buttons.