[LINK] more on those cp charges on teens

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Mon Mar 30 19:54:34 AEDT 2009

TechDirt is reporting that the ACLU has stepped
in on behalf of several teens facing the threat
of child pornography charges in Pennsylvania for
sharing nude pics of themselves. Unfortunately
for a girl in New Jersey, she is facing much more
than just a threat, as she was arrested yesterday
for posting almost 30 explicit pictures of
herself on MySpace for her boyfriend to see.
"...the ACLU has sued the prosecutor on the
girls' behalf, saying he shouldn't have
threatened them with baseless charges ­ which
haven't yet been filed ­ if they wouldn't agree
to probation and a counseling program. The
prosecutor says he was being 'proactive' in
offering them a choice, but the ACLU says he
shouldn't be using 'heavy artillery' to make the
threats. As its attorney points out, teaching
kids that this sort of behavior can bring all
sorts of unwanted and unforeseen ramifications is
a good idea, but threatening them with child-porn
charges isn't the best way to do it."

http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/03/27/1558229&from=rss

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com

Our truest response to the irrationality of the
world is to paint or sing or write, for only in such response do we find truth.
~Madeline L'Engle, writer