[LINK] Do It Yourself?

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Tue Mar 31 02:50:09 AEDT 2009

David writes,

> What have you done yourself .. might not achieve true broadband, but
> an improvement on 48kb/s is possible. My own somewhat dated experiences
> are at <http://david.boxall.id.au/Current.html>. David Boxall

Yes, thanks David. Read your cable experiences with interest. Have been
talking/asking/making-noise for a while now. Ahh well. On another track
I've been thinking of multi-homing. Two accounts, two phone lines & two
modems, all true, though it's not hard to set-up. So, maybe ...

 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307849

HOW TO: Set Up Multiple-Device (Multilink) Dialing in Windows XP

SUMMARY This article describes how to configure multiple-device dialing
in Windows XP.

With Windows XP you can use multiple modems to connect to your Internet
service provider (ISP) to increase the total speed of your transfers.

Multiple-device dialing (also known as Multilink PPP, modem aggregation,
or Multilink) causes multiple physical links to be combined into one
logical link. Typically, two or more ISDN lines or modem links are
bundled together for greater bandwidth.

You might use this feature if you do not have access to DSL or cable
services.

Multilink is enabled automatically in Windows XP Home Edition and Windows
XP Professional.

Requirements. To use multiple device dialing:

 Your ISP must support synchronization of multiple modems.
 You need to install multiple modems.
 You need a separate phone line for each modem.

Configuring Multiple-Device Dialing: The Network Connections feature
performs Point-to-Point (PPP) Multilink dialing over multiple ISDN, X.25,
or modem lines. This feature combines multiple physical links into a
logical bundle; the resulting aggregate link increases your connection
bandwidth..

--

Cheers,
Stephen