[LINK] Do It Yourself?

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Tue Mar 31 11:10:14 AEDT 2009

> > I've been thinking of multi-homing. Two accounts, two phone lines &
> > two modems, all true, though it's not hard to set-up. So, maybe ...

Thanks muchly, David, TomK (private email) and Michael. Appreciated.

Great suggestions. Have certainly overlooked ISDN, assuming that the
present physical line wouldn't cope .. ie, never connects over 50kps,
and 48kps is normal. And although my neighbours and i, are on normal
suburban block sizes, apparently, we are just too far from my town's
one exchange for anything but dialup and with nil wireless available
and the satellite co going belly up, (flakey anyway), simply did NOT
consider ISDN etc. Will certainly check further. Thanks again for yr
heads up on this and other suggestions, (eg, isp multi-linking) guys.

Hayes is zero problem, although the bell sounds a little tricky, but
no fear, certainly will investigate, and if reasonable $$$ will grit
teeth & get into it. Can't compete with respected Linker oldish fart
experience, but it does remind one of when i set up the first school
dial-in bulletin board in Aussie. (Talk about file-sucking, haha) Ah
well, hayes commands and arcane/buried win box settings here we come.

Quote, "As with most things involving Telstra, patience & persistence
may be required (& probably a touch of mongrel)" haha, no problem :-)

It would be really great if Telstra chased us with a bit of promotion
regards what they might be able to do for we country folk  (eg, ISDN)

Not only do they NOT do anything for us, also, they don't even bother
telling/reminding us what they MIGHT be able to do for us. How's that
for being ignored. haha.

Cheers,
Stephen.