[LINK] Conroy clarifies

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Tue Mar 31 20:23:45 AEDT 2009

You've probably been watching this anyway:
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1013745/Conroy-clarifies-Net-filter-plans

> With regards to who controls the classification of the blacklist,
> the Minister said ”I think it’ s fair to say that there is an
> argument that faceless bureaucrats are just making decisions and
> nobody knows….what I’m looking at, at the moment is a system whereby
> the Classification Board can have a role in making that final
> determination.”

Quite, and what about responsiveness?  How many faceless bureaucrats
will it take to keep the list up-to-date?

> Conroy focuses attention elsewhere
>
> Conroy made a vocal attack on the iiNet case during the CommsDay
> Summit in Sydney, detracting attention away from the proposed highly
> contested net filter.
>
> In an address to the Summit, Conroy attacked iiNet for their
> ‘stunning defence’.
>
> "The capacity to be able to ignore what your customers are doing on
> your network is being fought out in the Courts but I thought the
> defence of ‘we have no idea what anyone is downloading over our
> network' was a classic," Conroy said.

Hmmmm.... so are we going to see the Post Office opening letters and
parcels?  Someone listening to all our phone calls?  Actually we could
outsource the listening to ... China or maybe the US ...  Don't we do
that already?

Kim
--
Kim Holburn