[LINK] Forum on high speed bandwidth in Australia - this Thursday

Paul Brooks pbrooks-link at layer10.com.au
Mon May 4 12:15:51 AEST 2009

Karl Auer wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 09:22 +1000, Darrell Burkey wrote:
>
>> Very cool. But I'll ask you the same thing I've asked many others. What
>> good is high speed bandwidth to the average Australian when pricing is
>> based on volume? We simply won't be able to afford it.
>>

> Speed is not all about volume.
>
> A gamer, for example, needs low latency and low jitter[1] - not volume.
> In general, anything interactive needs the same. I do support on remote
> machines; I don't need volume, but I do need low latency.

Speed is also misused. Most information travels at the same speed - the
speed of light in a vacuum, 300 metres per microsecond in air for radio
and microwave links, about 200 metres per microsecond in optical fibre,
and somewhat less in metallic cables.
What most people look for is capacity, or volume, and the speed is taken
for granted these days.

P.